So you know how your head sometimes feels like a mini chocolate minion factory and all you want to do is escape it. Or those times it feels like a thousand small monsters are punching you in the brain. Consequently, your body reacts to this and you have to drag yourself around throughout the day. That is exactly how I felt half the time before I learnt this life hack to all of my mental and physical well-being – Yoga.
Yoga may seem like it does not aid much because it is literally sweat free. It has, however, helped many people. The beauty of it all is that it is for everyone; the teenagers, middle aged women and even older men.
Here are some reasons as to why you should consider doing yoga.
- Apart from increasing your flexibility, yoga improves your muscle strength and tone. Stretching elongates the fascia; a protective sheath of connective tissue covering all muscles and muscle cells. Through using the techniques of yoga to stretch the fascia, the muscle underneath is given greater room to grow. It works the muscle and gives it better shape.
- Yoga also helps improve respiration, cardio and circulatory health. It helps one develop a better athletic performance. You will note the difference the next time you go jogging or decide to participate in any sporting activities. Your breathing techniques automatically become improved.
- Insomnia can be taxing on both the body and the mind. The stretching in yoga poses aids with your tired aching muscles by releasing tension from your muscles. It also declutters and relaxes the mind for better sleep patterns.
- Maintaining a balanced metabolism and weight reduction come easy with yoga. Yes, yoga helps you shed those few kilos you have wanted to rid off for months now. Stretching muscles burns the extra fat stored in your body. In a study funded by the National Institute of Health, women who did restorative yoga—a practice in which yoga poses are held for a long time, typically on the floor and supported by blankets and props—burned 2% times more body fat than those who just stretched for that same period.
- Much like meditation, yoga helps clear and calm the mind. One can develop coping skills and reach a more positive outlook on life.
Try it. Get yourself a comfortable mat, a beginners DVD on yoga and indulge.